- pharmacology department is one of the most important departments of the College of Pharmacy. It was established in 1379 AH (1959 AD),two years after the establishment of King Saud University.
- Pharmacology is the science that study drugs which comes from natural source such as plants, animals, microorganisms, marine organisms and inanimate objects.
- The department teaches courses that include the methods of making drugs of plant or animal origin, its storing, separating its components and preparing them for use in pharmaceutical preparation, the department teaches various fields including preparation of the drug for medicinal use,and the study extends to include some biotic drugs and natural products such as antibiotics, anticancer, enzymes ,vaccines, serums, vitamins, hormones, and ways to identify drugs, toxions and stimulants.
- The student also identifies the effective elements and methods used in In clearing medicinal plants chemically and biologically and the effect of the environment on these elements and methods, the department also participates through its basic courses in the plan of Doctor of Pharmacist (Pharm D) also teaching students nutritional supplements and herbal medicine and other methods used internationally in various alternative medicine methods, methods of evaluating herbal preparations according to international principles and standards..
- At the postgraduate level, the department offers a master's degree program in drugs that contains twelve advanced specialized courses as well as advanced research programs, and PHD program which contains eight specialized courses. These programs aim to provide the country with distinguished pharmaceutical cadres interested in pharmacology that contribute to the application of the scientific and research method in the study of medicinal plants.